Thursday, December 15, 2011

a call to celebrate

For a college student, a party is nothing out of the ordinary. We party all the time. Or, we like to pretend as if we do. We classify everything as a "party"...even sitting on the sofa playing Mario Kart and drinking beer with 3 of your best good friends fits the qualifications.


But on Sunday night, I experienced a different kind of "party". One that would be more accurately classified as a celebration, or a feast. A feast of God's people.



And let me tell you, it beat every single game-day weekend party I've ever been to. No game of beer pong or spin the bottle could ever come close to comparing to our grand celebration.






But when I told my friends that I was going to a party at my church, they gave me a weird look, thought about it for a second, and then sort of half-laughed/half-rolled their eyes at my pathetic attachment to church functions. I am sure that the mental image they conjured up consisted of wheel chairs, fruit punch, christmas napkins, and shortbread cookies.



Let me get this straight: my church is not a nursing home. In fact, we had a rotation of 4 different bands on our brightly-lit stage that night, a bar in the corner stocked with alcoholic beverages, (and not a drop of Natty Light. take that, frat row.) a dance floor that was jam-crammed with people at all times, and a 15-foot long table full of food.










And let me tell you... God was glorified. Our joy and laughter at being able to feast and celebrate the birth of our Savior made Him look beautiful. The redemption of Christ is what brings so many different people together on one dance floor, celebrating the bounty and provision of our King.













Listen to the words of Jeremiah to the people of God:

"10 “Hear the word of the LORD, you nations;
   proclaim it in distant coastlands:
‘He who scattered Israel will gather them
   and will watch over his flock like a shepherd.’
11 For the LORD will deliver Jacob
   and redeem them from the hand of those stronger than they.
12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion;
   they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD
the grain, the new wine and the olive oil,
   the young of the flocks and herds.
They will be like a well-watered garden,
   and they will sorrow no more.
13 Then young women will dance and be glad,
   young men and old as well.
I will turn their mourning into gladness;
   I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
14 I will satisfy the priests with abundance,
   and my people will be filled with my bounty,”
            declares the LORD."


How often are we encouraged to dance and sing and eat and drink for joy to celebrate the bounty of the Lord, Who delivers us from the death we deserve because of sin?

Not often enough.



What kind of King do we worship? The only One who has the power to bring joy and gladness to a world that is broken with sin. That is the reason we worship, and the reason we celebrate His goodness. Let us rejoice and be glad. 


*photo credit goes to Melissa Lien

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post? Maybe the craziness of cleaning up after this party! :) Seriously, love that you documented such a great night of celebration. We need to do it more OFTEN! After the party someone said, "There ain't no party like a Riverwood party!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...