Wednesday, November 2, 2011

forgive?

in  approximately 3 hours I am supposed to be leading my weekly bible study for junior high girls. the topic this week? Forgiveness.

In our entire study on womanhood, what it means to serve, what it means to encourage, give life, etc,....i have never felt so inadequate to teach about a topic as I do at this very moment.

Forgiveness? I'm the last person in the world who should be telling 11 and 12 year old girls how to forgive.

why just this morning I got in a huge argument with my sister, and I haven't spoken to her since. (except to text her and ask her to let the dog out when she gets home.)

i spent an hour last night talking with a friend about a situation that i am frustrated with, and i went away feeling far more angry and unforgiving than i did in the first place.

i am constantly holding grudges against friends that i love, and replaying instances in my head where i wasn't treated the way i wanted.

and ultimately, i don't believe that God forgives me. I haven't had a quiet time all week, and I think that as a result, God is angry with me and holding a grudge, just like I would do if I was Him.

when i think about forgiving someone who has really hurt me, i dont think about it for long. why? because forgiveness... its pretty much as impossible as flying.
But recall the little poem of John Bunyan:
Run, John, run, the law commands
But gives us neither feet nor hands,
Far better news the gospel brings:
It bids us fly and gives us wings.

the gospel is what enables me to fly. to forgive. the flying is forgiveness. just as God in Christ has also forgiven me. why? Because the death of Jesus satisfied God's demand, and my sin has been forever forgiven, and eternally washed away.

in the words of the hymn by Lewis Jones, circa 1899,

"Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you over evil a victory win?
There’s wonderful power in the blood.

There is power, power, wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb."

the power to forgive.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...