Wednesday, July 20, 2011

if God is God...

If God is God, He is God over everything.

Every tornado, every car accident, every situation that brings sorrow and suffering.

Therefore, if He is God over everything, then He was fully aware of every tragic event that has happened in 2011. Not only was He aware, but He was in perfect control. And He intended for it to happen.

I am tempted to whine and say, "Where was God when Heather's car spun out of control and hit the only pole for 2 miles and broke her neck?" or, "Where was God when the tornado destroyed Tuscaloosa?".

Those questions reveal an ultimate distrust and unbelief that my God is as big and powerful as I claim He is.

I then must ask myself, "Is my God big enough to control the tornado and direct it exactly where He wants it to go?" or, "Is my God powerful enough to steady Heather's car or move the pole so she doesn't hit it?" If I am truly honest with myself, I will admit that YES - God is big enough to do all of those things.

To ask why God allows suffering to happen reveals that I believe in a God who is too small to be sovereign over the events of the world. 

Ultimately, if I claim to believe in the power and majesty of God, then I also believe that God is in control of EVERYTHING. Absolutely nothing is out of His control and beyond His reach. Why? Because my God is much bigger than that.


O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to Thee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...