Monday, December 6, 2010

tribute to the red hot tomale

Recently I've been blogging about what is on my mind and heart recently. therefore, I am going to keep up the tradition and write about what is on my mind and my heart today. It is sitting in the driveway. It is red, has a white strawberry-looking design on the side, and bounces like a trampoline every time it hits a bump in the road. No, i'm not talking about a wheelbarrel. I'm talking about the automobile that has been my number one means of transportation for FOUR long years.

Dodge Caravan, 1997. Now before you begin to laugh at me for being a teenager driving a mini van, let me show you a glimpse of it in its days of glory.


Don't be fooled by such a new and shining car- this red beauty doesn't have air conditioning in the back seat. But you wouldn't believe the system in this automobile....it survived 2 teenage drivers and it can still blast a beat with the bass turned up like a brand new sports car. A miracle, if you ask me.

Nevermind the fact that it has a leak under the front windshield, and a whole ocean of water is stored behind the glove compartment every time it rains. Oh and did i mention that the roof is caving in, and there is so much moisture in the car that duct tape won't hold it up? It has new tires though - thats a plus. It also has bucket seats that I vividly remember fighting over with my siblings in younger days.

This car got the name hot tomale my junior year of highschool. Who wouldn't name a fiery red mini van that barrels around recklessly "hot tomale"? Fits perfectly if you ask me.

It has seen many days of glory. Countless teenagers have come and gone. Many trips to the movies, mall, football games, and even prom. Yes - prom. Tabby took it to prom her junior year of highschool. Here is photographic evidence.


I wrecked it into the side of the garage my senior year and it has a scratch on the side that resembles the shape of a strawberry...or a fish...or whatever illusion you might conjur up. The front passenger air vents blow out a form of smoke every time the air conditioner is on, and we like to tell frightened newcomers that it is the hot tomale poison.

Sadly, this tried and true piece of equipment is on its last tire. After a recent rainstorm, the leak has taken over the whole car. There is fog on all the windows....on the inside. Just like a small bathroom gets foggy after a hot shower. From a scientific perspective, this means that mold has consumed the interior of the car.

Now, the Hot Tomale has a new name : Rotten Tomale. It is nothing more than a piece of fungus growing on the driveway. It still drives normally, but it is a health hazard to all who come within a 100 yard radius. Fortunately, a new car is on the horizon. But unfortunately, the Hot Tomale is about to kick the bucket.

The lessons this car taught me will never be forgotten. I have learned that when you pull up at a redlight and look over to see a hot shot in a lifted Chevy, it doesnt matter the look on his face or what he thinks of you. Because guess what? My Father in heaven doesn't care what im driving. In fact, i could be driving a 2011 Porsche and it wouldn't make a difference to Him.

a nice car isn't of eternal value.

R.I.P. Hot Tomale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...